Thursday, March 11, 2010

One aspect I dont fully understand is when Pip is explaining how he feels so lucky yet when he thinks of Estella he all of a sudden is overcome with, "hundreds of chances. Avoiding forbidden ground, as you did just now, I may still say that on the constancy of one person (naming no person) all my expectations depend." (P. 249) and also when he says "that, concentrating our attention on the examination, we altogether overlook one of the best points of the animal." (P. 249)
I felt a little confused because at first I thought he meant that being away from her gave him multiple opportunities to get off the non existent leash he felt attached to and do something he wanted to do because her opinion didn't hold him back.
Then I thought that he meant while he was away from her, that he realized the times when he was with her were times he never realized her feelings the way she wanted him to. And that he never understood her correctly until she was gone.
All I really want to know is: Am I just deeply confused in this whole topic and conversation, and wrong?
Or:
Was I correct in understanding that Estella was never understood by Pip how she wanted to be?
If that makes any sense.....

No comments:

Post a Comment